4.15.2014

Chicken à la King


I made chicken a la king this weekend and took pictures. While not the earth's most photogenic food, this dish is seriously delicious. It is pretty simple to make, too. 

Check it out, here are a few of the ingredients I used:

not pictured but also used: skim milk, chicken broth and frozen peas


bow tie pasta

Saute about one package of mushrooms in a few tablespoons of butter. This sauce is another roux, so after the mushrooms are cooked, add equal parts flour and stir. In this case, I used about four tablespoons of butter and then added four tablespoons of flour. The roux cooks for a little while, stirring constantly, and then it's time to add the liquid. I used 1 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup skim milk. It took about 10-15 minutes for the sauce to reach the consistency I wanted.


Meanwhile, pan fry the chicken in a tiny bit of oil. Sprinkle on some spices.



Chicken a la king can include rice, bread or pasta. Inexplicably, I chose to have two carbs: both pasta and bread. It was good, but next time I might try using homemade bread without adding any pasta.


This time, I used store bought biscuit dough to form crowns. Roll each biscuit out into a rectangle, then cut triangle shapes into one side. Wrap the dough around the bottom side of a cupcake pan and hope for the best! Follow directions from the package for cook time/temp. Mine broke apart at the seam in the oven, which sometimes happens. 




Once the pasta is done, combine everything.  Add the frozen peas, mushrooms, pimentos and chicken to the pot already containing the sauce.I shredded the chicken this time, but chopping it has also worked well.  Heat through, add the biscuits on top and serve.



Thanks for reading!

Leave a comment

Anonymous said...

That looks wonderful...except for mushrooms. For some reason I just can't handle mushrooms.